The second stage in the planting process is for a Project to become a PLANT.
A Plant will be led by a Priest or Deacon who may initially be appointed part-time. A Plant should also have a regular Sunday service/gathering (not necessarily always celebrating communion).
- When you are ready to move your existing meeting to Sunday, or want to add a Sunday service gathering to your existing ministry, your Project may be ready to become a Plant.
- The Sunday service may not necessarily celebrate communion every week but Explorers will be happy to help find a priest who can come and celebrate with you occasionally if possible.
- Based on your budget and income, you will look to appointing a clergy leader (if the Project is not already led by one). The bishop will be actively involved in this process.
- Define your strategy for ministry and outreach, and review your budget and income. Explorers is always there to help.
- It will be key for the long-term growth of the Plant that there is a strong outreach program. Explorers will be happy to assist in identifying opportunities and setting plans.
- Begin to get the basic ministries up and running: e.g. Outreach & neighbourhood ministry, Worship team, Sunday School, etc.
- Find a place for your Sunday meeting and make necessary arrangements for renting and/or setup.
- Form a vestry (church board) which will include at least: People's warden, Rector's Warden, and Treasurer. This is done by vote of the whole congregation.
- Establish the essential teams to support the ministry (e.g. Setup, worship, follow-up, etc)
- A Plant will take responsibility for its own affairs and develop a plan to begin administering its own finances if it is not already doing so. Donations may still be receipted through ANiC.